December 23, 2005

Remembering John

“All we are saying, is give peace a chance”


This month we observed the 25th anniversary of the death of John Lennon. I heard the news of his shooting like many others – from Howard Cosell during the Monday Night Football game. When he mentioned it, I literally broke down in cried. Here was an icon of universal peace, and he was gunned down by a lunatic, who was essentially jealous of his fame & success. I was then, and always have been, a huge Beatles fan. I have such a passion for his music, so his death affected me more than any other, outside of my own family of course.

John Lennon was nothing less than a prophet in my opinion. I believe he was put on this earth to tell the world that we’re not doing it right. He used his talent, his voice, and his immense popularity to express his message… That war was wrong, and peace was best. That hatred was wrong and love was best. That greed was wrong, and sharing was best.

John Lennon was a visionary. He saw the world as it should be. He was constantly thinking ‘out-of-the-box’, and that’s something I respect dearly. Most of us remember John Lennon for his signature song – Imagine – which espouses his visionary dream. As we approach Christmas however, I want to share one of his holiday messages. The song is called “Happy Christmas”.


And so this is Christmas, and what have you done?
Another year over, a new one’s just begun

And so this is Christmas, I hope you have fun
The near and the dear one, the old and the young

And so this is Christmas, for weak and for strong
For rich and for poor ones, the road is so long

And so happy Christmas, for black and for white
For yellow and red ones, let’s stop all the fight

Have a very merry Christmas, and a happy New Year
Let’s hope it’s a good one, without any fear

War is over, if you want it

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home